Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Additional Works

Additional Works

In addition to the required minimum ten artworks, I would like to add a few more into my exhibit just because I really liked them and wanted to share them! I wanted to include some of these in my actual exhibit but I couldn't find all the required information about them. Enjoy!

  • Artist: Jean Boutcher
  • Title: Thomas H. Gallaudet
  • Media: Oil
  • Dimensions: 14 in. x 18 in.
  • Date: 1992
I really like Jean Boutcher's portraits! They are all incredibly detailed. I chose to display this one because Thomas H. Gallaudet is a major historical figure in the Deaf community. (Other works here)
  • Artist: Susan Dupor
  • Title: Deaf American
  • Media: Oil on canvas
  • Dimensions: 42 in, x 30 in.
  • Date: 1989

I feel that this painting is very powerful. In the woman's hand is a cochlear implant. The cochlear implant is a HUGE (and I mean massive) controversy within the Deaf community. Hearing people view it as a miracle, but in a way doesn't it threaten Deaf culture? Some Deaf people are open to the idea of it but many are not, and I personally don't blame them. I feel this painting describes how the United States society in a way forces the cochlear implant among Deaf people. The woman looks frustrated and angry because she feels she doesn't need to be fixed, so why are people pressuring her into getting the surgery?

I also would like to display more of Chuck Baird's art. It is too beautiful not to share!

  • Title: All American Breakfast
  • Media: Acrylic on canvas
  • Dimensions: 34 in. x 36 in.
  • Date: 1992

I love how a classifier (CL) is being used in this painting. In the Deaf world, a classifier is a designated hand shape which is very important in ASL grammar. (more information here) Instead of signing "syrup bottle" why not just show it using a CL? Classifiers make ASL an interesting and creative language. This is why I love Chuck Baird's work! He incorporates CL and actual signs into his paintings. Another example is his masterpiece, entitled Whale
Whale is probably my favorite of all his works! It's gorgeous and is a great representation of Deaf art.

Another artist I found was by the name of Ashley Shaffer. Unfortunately, her drawing didn't have the necessary requirements for me to include in my exhibit, but I want to share it here. 

  • Title: Deaf Artist
  • Media: Mixed media on sketch paper
  • Dimensions: 9 in. x 12 in.
  • Date: 2013
This reminded me of Chuck Baird's Art No. 2. If you look up close you can see it was done with a thin pen or marker and must have taken a lot of patience and time. I love how she wrote "Deaf" and "Artist" all over both hands. She has tons of other drawings that she sells for very reasonable prices. Again, another great example of Deaf art and Deaf culture!

No comments:

Post a Comment