Monday, July 13, 2015

Conclusion

 Conclusion

Overall, throughout this process, I learned that creating an art exhibit is not all that easy. It took a lot of time to find different Deaf or hard of hearing artists who had artworks that met the qualifications for the assignment. The most difficult part of researching was finding an artist's statement related directly to the exhibited work because the Deaf community is not well-known to many, so it was challenging finding art works where the actual artist or another person has commented on them. The "Deaf Culture" gallery idea came very natural to me because I love everything about Deaf culture and I know some people within the Deaf world have amazing artistic abilities and I wanted to be able to share that with other hearing people. I loved researching the different artists and finding all the various forms of Deaf art. I feel the job of a curator would be very stressful. It would feel like a lot of pressure trying to find the perfect artworks for the exhibit in order to connect them to a specific theme. I think I'm going to avoid that career! However, it would be an interesting job due to having the opportunity to base a career around art. Deaf culture is made up of branches of all types of different things so it was easy to find different works based on individual themes that connected somehow. During the research process for this project, I discovered that there are so many Deaf artists from all over the world who can connect together through their culture. I did not expect to come across so many different people who specialize in Deaf art. Deaf people can all connect on an individual and personal level. Their community is more like a giant family. I learned that Deaf people don't strictly connect because of their language and background; they also connect because of the art and the stories that their art tells. I hope that you enjoyed looking at Life Through the Eyes, but more importantly, I hope you can take this as an educational opportunity and walk away with a new outlook and knowledge on Deaf people!

2 comments: